glibc make check error

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Thu Jun 17 17:32:45 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 04:56:00PM -0700, Jeremy Utley wrote:

> Personally, I think it might be a good idea.  Something like this would work:
>
> groupadd lfs
> useradd -g lfs -m -k /dev/null -s /bin/bash lfs
>
> This is exactly the process I use when adding a user lfs to an existing
> lfs system, except that I always force a certain uid/gid - but for book
> purposes this really isn't necessary.

After some more poking, I can confirm what Bruse posted. gid 100 is not
special, but instead glibc looks for the gid of the user running the
test. The way the book does it a user is created, not a group.
Therefore, the host system will use the default gid value. In some cases
this may not resolve to a groupname. I built from a straight from the
book build, so there weren't any users (or groups) beyond what the book
uses. Since useradd defaults to gid 100, it created
lfs:x:100:100::/home/lfs:/bin/bash but there is no gid 100, hence glibc
tests breaking.

The solution is exactly as Jeremy stated. No gid is special, it just has
to actually have a name associtated with it. And since we cannot assume
what the default number is, nor whether or not that number is actually
assigned, we should stick with generic groupadd lfs && useradd -g lfs ..

--
Archaic

Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to
prove that the other party is unfit to rule--and both commonly succeed,
and are right... The United States has never developed an aristocracy
really disinterested or an intelligentsia really intelligent. Its
history is simply a record of vacillations between two gangs of frauds.

- H. L. Mencken