make check discussion

Jeremy Huntwork jhuntwork at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Jun 17 18:44:46 PDT 2004

On Thursday 17 June 2004 09:36 pm, Ryan.Oliver at pha.com.au wrote:
> Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> > It seems to me that the discussion should be where  the checks are
> > recommended (i.e., Chapter 6) and the pointers to the discussion
> > should be in Chapter 5 where is says "You can do it, but we don't
> > recommend it."
>
> When were doing the checks marked as "not recommended" in chapter 5?
> The term used should be "optional" in chapter 5...
>
> Never were they "not recommended", those checks give you an insight
> into whether your ch5 glibc/preliminary toolchain components are
> thoroughly b0rked or not...
>
> Regardless, discussion should be re-iterated chapter 6...
>
> [R]

Actually:
from http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/unstable/chapter05/glibc.html

"Compilation is now complete. As mentioned earlier, we don't recommend
running the test suites for the temporary system here in this chapter.
If you still want to run the Glibc test suite anyway, the following
command will do so: "

And this is referencing, in turn, the point on the binutils Pass 1 page
that says there's little point in running the test suites.

I believe Bruce is building a system from unstable so his point is
valid.

--
Jeremy Huntwork
http://www.jenacon.net