udev/hotplug: A call for testers

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Fri Jun 18 07:05:37 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:30:23 -0700 (PDT)
> "Jeremy Utley" <jeremy at jutley.org> wrote:
>

>>Actually, with 2.6, LFS *DOES* provide support for alsa - it's in the
>>kernel now.
>

> Well, yeah I know that - but the kernel also provides *drivers* for a
> whole host of other devices as well, which may (like ALSA) need
> additional tools to actually make use of that hardware (e.g.
> alsa-lib/alsa-tools/alsa-utils, etc.).

This sentence is a good candidate for inclusion on the kernel page.

> What I was trying to convey is we don't deal with configuring sound
> support explicitly in LFS, it is quite rightly a BLFS issue.

I see. But loading modules is entirely an LFS issue, and the fact that
these modules deal with sound doesn't move the problem to BLFS. Since
these problems caused by hidden dependencies (aka Problem 2 in Wiki)
have very much common, it has much sense to discuss them together and
explicitly formulate a general rule:

If "a" is unusable without "b", but "b" is undetectable and "a" is a
module, add the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf.

install a modprobe -i a ; modprobe b ; true

<snip on-topic statements>

>>>If someone gets to BLFS and realises they might need OSS
>>>compatibility for one of their apps, then BLFS should provide
>>>instructions that make use of facilities made available to them via
>>>LFS.

Yes. LFS states the general rule, BLFS includes examples of its application.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .