udev/hotplug: A call for testers

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 18 10:13:31 PDT 2004

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:05:37 +0600
"Alexander E. Patrakov" <see at the.sig> wrote:

> If "a" is unusable without "b", but "b" is undetectable and "a" is a
> module, add the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf.
>
> install a modprobe -i a ; modprobe b ; true

Now we're getting somewhere - that's what I was after :)  Just one more
question now...how do we know "b" is undetectable?  Is it a simple case
of try hotplug first and when it breaks then fallback to our general
rule?  I'd rather be able to warn users up front about *general classes*
of devices that are known not to be supported (or supported badly), so
they don't have to go through unnecessary pain!

Cheers,

Matt.