udev/hotplug: A call for testers

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Fri Jun 18 17:54:48 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 20:05:37 +0600
> "Alexander E. Patrakov" <see at the.sig> wrote:
>

>>If "a" is unusable without "b", but "b" is undetectable and "a" is a
>>module, add the following line to /etc/modprobe.conf.
>>
>>install a modprobe -i a ; modprobe b ; true
>

> Now we're getting somewhere - that's what I was after :)  Just one more
> question now...how do we know "b" is undetectable?  Is it a simple case
> of try hotplug first and when it breaks then fallback to our general
> rule?  I'd rather be able to warn users up front about *general classes*
> of devices that are known not to be supported (or supported badly), so
> they don't have to go through unnecessary pain!

Please re-read the attachment to the original mail in this thread. It
probably answers your question. Also read the WIKI page about Problem 2,
it means exactly the same.

BTW how are we going to fix Problem 1? I am just too lazy to put all
character and block devices into /etc/sysconfig/modules (12 lines that
change each time I change kernel config) when the snippet in the wiki
does the same and automatically does the right thing when I e.g. add a
pktcdvd module.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .