[RFC] Global XSLROOTDIR setting for belgarath?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 19 09:51:44 PDT 2004

I had the need to build a copy of James' ALFS documents (guides) this
morning, and I needed to do it on belgarath. His Makefiles (derived from
the LFS BOOK Makefile) use a variable called XSLROOTDIR to point to
where the docbook XSL stylesheets are located.

On belgarath, this is /usr/share/docbook/xsl-stylesheets-1.65.1. I found
this, and was able to build things without problems. I then scanned over
the LFS BOOK Makefile, and saw that it has this path (including the
version number) hardcoded into the Makefile, which is likely why James
chose to use a variable to provide the path. The BLFS BOOK Makefile does
not currently need this path, but when they move to the same XSL/CSS as
the LFS book, they will.

I think it would be a good plan to:

- standardize the LFS, BLFS and ALFS guides Makefiles to use XSLROOTDIR
_from the environment_, not a Makefile variable

and

- modify /etc/profile on belgarath to set XSLROOTDIR for all users to
the currently installed XSL directory

With these changes, less-informed users (like myself) don't need to deal
with these issues, and upgrades to new XSL stylesheet versions don't
require modifying any Makefiles, just changing /etc/profile (which can
be done by the same server administrator that is installing the XSL
upgrade).

Thoughts?