e2fsprogs --disable-evms

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jun 19 09:59:16 PDT 2004

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:49:22 +0600
"Alexander E. Patrakov" <see at the.sig> wrote:

> Matthew Burgess wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Why was this option added?  ./configure --help says that it'll
> > disable the building of the EVMS plugin.  That got me googling, the
> > result of which pointed me to http://evms.sourceforge.net/.  So, I
> > now know what to write in the description for that option, but I
> > still wonder *why* we disable it.  There's no Changelog entry for
> > that option going in to the book, and the only thing I can find in
> > the archives is
> > http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-book/2003-November/009396.html
> > saying we *might* want to use the option, but again not why.
>
> The plugin works AFAIK with old versions of evms only.

Thanks Alexander - if only I'd have checked evms' FAQ I'd have
seen:

--- http://evms.sourceforge.net/faq.html#id2802300 ---
The e2fsprogs package includes its own plug-in for EVMS. However, this
plug-in is not up-to-date with the latest EVMS internal interfaces.
Because the EVMS package comes with its own version of the Ext2/3
plug-in, the plug-in that comes with e2fsprogs
(/lib/evms/libe2sfsim.1.2.1.so) can simply be deleted.
---

Cheers,

Matt.