Why do do we recommend against putting FQDN into /etc/sysconfig/network?

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 22 12:23:57 PDT 2004

I have had no problems putting my full hostnames into
/etc/sysconfig/network (to be provided to the "hostname" command), and
in fact doing so removes the need to put "search" lines into
/etc/resolv.conf for the host's domain name, as the resolver library
will automatically search in the domain the host is in for unqualified
names.

Do we have actual evidence that setting
HOSTNAME=fully.qualified.domain.name causes problems? If not, I'd like
to suggest changing the text that warns against it.