Why do do we recommend against putting FQDN into /etc/sysconfig/network?

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Tue Jun 22 13:36:03 PDT 2004

Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> I have had no problems putting my full hostnames into
> /etc/sysconfig/network (to be provided to the "hostname" command), and
> in fact doing so removes the need to put "search" lines into
> /etc/resolv.conf for the host's domain name, as the resolver library
> will automatically search in the domain the host is in for unqualified
> names.
>
> Do we have actual evidence that setting
> HOSTNAME=fully.qualified.domain.name causes problems? If not, I'd like
> to suggest changing the text that warns against it.

One side effect of doing that is the prompt changes if you have the host
as a part of the hostname.
The hostname command is designed to give a full name with `hostname --fqdn`

 From the hostname man page:

   THE FQDN
       You can't change the FQDN (as returned by hostname --fqdn) or
the  DNS  domain  name  (as
       returned  by dnsdomainname) with this command. The FQDN of the
system is the name that the
       resolver(3) returns for the host name.

       Technically: The FQDN is the name gethostbyname(2) returns for
the host name  returned  by
       gethostname(2).  The DNS domain name is the part after the first dot.

       Therefore  it  depends on the configuration (usually in
/etc/host.conf) how you can change
       it. Usually (if the hosts file is  parsed  before  DNS  or  NIS)
you  can  change  it  in
       /etc/hosts.

  -- Bruce