Monitoring Tools

EC wingman at waika9.com
Tue Jun 22 15:32:07 PDT 2004

"Joel Miller" <cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu> a écrit dans le message de
news: <40D864B9.4070907 at mail.rit.edu>...
> Wingman wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am I wrong in saying that BLFS lacks server monitoring and related tools
?
> > SNMP, RRDtool, MRTG, OpenNMS, Nagios and such ?
>
> If you want to add packaged to BLFS talk it out on blfs-dev. I'm sure
> they accept new stuff. Also, you can always write a hint on it.
>
> > Maybe a more general question : do LFS/BLFS leaders tend to volontary
orient
> > it to workstation use ? or is it just a natural tendancy of more people
> > using it for workstation (right ?) ?
>
> IIRC, I think the current official wisdom is not to use LFS for
> production machines ( Note: I could easily be wrong about that and also
> I frequently use LFS for production machines ). I use LFS on my
> workstations and also on my servers. It just turns out that I don't
> install advanced monitoring tools on my servers that you appear to
> need/want.
:)
I think my question was more general than just me needing or wanting the
software. I would have been 'happier' if LFS would be lighter everyday, and
BLFS bigger. Having a lite and optimized system (which does not meen it has
to be extra secure, meaning it's not HLFS..) is, I believe a need. But I
believe there is a (natural, as I said) trend for worstations..

As Bruce suggested, I'll add some stuff on the Wiki about that.

EC.