Why do do we recommend against putting FQDN into /etc/sysconfig/network?

rl at nezumi.plus.com rl at nezumi.plus.com
Wed Jun 23 02:01:24 PDT 2004

On 2004-06-22 12:23:57 +0000, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Do we have actual evidence that setting
> HOSTNAME=fully.qualified.domain.name causes problems? If not, I'd like
> to suggest changing the text that warns against it.

I had problems NOT setting the fully qualified domain name with
hostname. This was a long time ago, I have forgotten exactly what the
problems were. When I read more about it, I got the impression that you
should set the FQDN with hostname (I was a newbie at the time, and I
have not researched it since). One reason I tried using the FQDN was
that I found hostname only behaved as advertised (hostanme --help) when
given the FQDN.

I asked about it on the list at the time, but I do not remember any
reply. I have been doing it my way for over two years, and I have not
yet noticed any problem. My system does differ considerably from a
standard LFS, for example it includes djbdns used as a cache, and for
the local network.

Richard
--
I do not have a problem with the host name in the prompt:
[0:rl at isis rl]$ echo "'$PS1'"