"Mandatory" kernel configuration requirements for lfs-bootscripts-2.1.2-pre1

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 23 08:34:58 PDT 2004

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> Either there has to be made mention of this in the book, or the script
> should simply check to make sure /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug exists before
> trying to write to it.

lfs-bootscripts beyond 2.0.x are intended for "unstable" LFS, which will
be udev/hotplug based. That assumes CONFIG_HOTPLUG is enabled in the kernel.

While I'm sure the scripts could be engineered to work reasonably well
in a non-hotplug environment, would there any particular advantage to
doing that? Would it not be better to just continue to release 2.0.x
releases for non-hotplug systems?