"Mandatory" kernel configuration requirements for lfs-bootscripts-2.1.2-pre1

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jun 23 08:41:29 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 09:34, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> lfs-bootscripts beyond 2.0.x are intended for "unstable" LFS, which will
> be udev/hotplug based. That assumes CONFIG_HOTPLUG is enabled in the kernel.

Instead of assuming CONFIG_HOTPLUG is enabled, it should be documented
that this is expected. Assuming a certain kernel configuration just
isn't a good way to go about things.

> While I'm sure the scripts could be engineered to work reasonably well
> in a non-hotplug environment, would there any particular advantage to
> doing that? Would it not be better to just continue to release 2.0.x
> releases for non-hotplug systems?

It should work regardless. The hotplug script in 2.1.2-pre1 already
checks to see if /sbin/hotplug even exists and then silently exits. The
same could be done in the udev script to make it work on any platform. I
use lfs-bootscripts-2.1.2-pre1 on my non-hotplug system and it works
just fine, aside from that one warning I got.