Udev nitpicks

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Fri Jun 25 00:36:58 PDT 2004

1)
Udev installs its default "permissions" and "rules" files as
50-udev.{permissions,rules}. This is bad:

The permissions specified in 50-udev.permissions are inappropriate for
LFS, because the "uucp" group doesn't exist and the "500" gid for the
camera may be (and is actually on my system) used for some purpose.
Proposed solution: remove this 50-udev.permissions file after udev
installation.

The rules specified in 50-udev.rules are bad duplicates of the rules
provided by LFS. Proposed solution: either remove 50-udev.rules after
installation (preferred) or remove duplicate entries from 00-lfs.rules

I can fix this myself in the book if you think that I am the right person.

2)
The "/dev/usblp*" devices mentioned in our permissions file never
appear. "/dev/usb/lp*" are used instead. However, CUPS still uses
/dev/usblp0 name. Proposed solution:

Remove usblp entry (line 59) from udev-config-1.permissions file
Replace line 29 in udev-config-1.rules with:

BUS="usb", KERNEL="lp[0-9]*",   NAME="usb/%k", SYMLINK="usb%k"

I don't have enough permissions to fix this completely myself. Jim:
please update the files in the "downloads.linuxfromscratch.org"
directory so that I can do the rest myself.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr \!-: a-z | tr n .