SVN repsoitory now live

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jun 25 12:45:29 PDT 2004

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 18:05:39 -0400
Anderson Lizardo <lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote:

> On Thursday 24 June 2004 17:37, Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> > Anderson Lizardo wrote:
> > > svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/repos/LFS/trunk/BOOK'
> > > svn: PROPFIND of '/repos/LFS/trunk/BOOK': 405 Method Not Allowed
> > > (http://svn.linuxfromscratch.org)
> >
> > IIRC, Matthew said that HTTP (aka WebDAV) access to the SVN
> > repository was not going to be turned on (the Method Not Allowed may
> > be due to your svn client using the WebDAV-specific HTTP method of
> > PROPFIND).
>
> Ok, ignore this one then. I'm still wondering why (security? need to
> touch apache?)

Well, you know all those permission problems?  They get worse the more
access methods you enable!  Plus the svn:// protocol meets our needs for
the time being, and means we don't have to change Apache's
configuration.

> > > Another problem: I can't use file protocol to checkout on
> > > belgarath:
> > >
> > > $ svn co file:///home/svn/repositories/LFS/trunk/BOOK LFS
> > > svn: Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
> > > svn: Unable to open repository
> > > 'file:///home/svn/repositories/LFS/trunk/BOOK'
> > > svn: Berkeley DB error while opening environment for filesystem
> > > /home/svn/repositories/LFS/db: Permission denied

Right, that's because you're not a member of the right group on belg.
You might wonder why permission is denied Anderson - after all,
that db/ directory is world readable.  Subversion uses bdb as a
backend to store the repository, and the bdb db is store in that db/
directory.  Now, for reasons unbeknown to me, whenever someone just
reads from the directory it causes a log file to be *written*, hence
all our permissions issues recently!

Who is running the cron jobs? I'd assume it'd be lfswww, right? If so
then that user just needs to become a member of the svn group and it
should checkout via file:// fine.  No idea on any performance
differences between the two.

Hope this helps,

Matt.