GCC compile failed

Patrick Bos kikkum at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 26 08:29:49 PDT 2004

Hi,

I'm kinda new to all this, so if I should go search somewhere else first,
please tell me where. Anyway, my problem is that while making LFS 5.1.1, I
come to chapter 5, compiling GNU 3.3.3 Pass 1, but after compiling with:
make BOOT_LDFLAGS="-static" bootstrap
it gives some errors. These appear at the end (when the program stops):

stage1/xgcc -Bstage1/ -B/tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/   -g -O2 -DIN_GCC   -W
-Wall -Wwrite-strings -Wstrict-prototypes -Wmissing-prototypes -Wtraditional
-pedantic -Wno-long-long   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DGENERATOR_FILE -static -o
gengenrtl \
gengenrtl.o ../libiberty/libiberty.a
/tools/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [gengenrtl] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/gcc'
make[1]: *** [stage2_build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/sources/gcc-build/gcc'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

Somewhere before in the compiling process is another error that might be
important:

mv *.o insn-flags.h insn-config.h insn-codes.h insn-output.c insn-recog.c
insn-emit.c insn-extract.c insn-peep.c insn-attr.h insn-attrtab.c
insn-opinit.c insn-constants.h tm-preds.h tree-check.h insn-conditions.c
s-flags s-config s-codes s-mlib s-genrtl s-gtype gtyp-gen.h s-output s-recog
s-emit s-extract s-peep s-check s-conditions s-attr s-attrtab s-opinit
s-preds s-constants s-crt0 genemit genoutput genrecog genextract genflags
gencodes genconfig genpeep genattrtab genattr genopinit gengenrtl gencheck
genpreds genconstants gengtype genconditions genrtl.c genrtl.h gt-*.h
gtype-*.h gtype-desc.c xgcc cpp cc1  crtbegin.o crtbeginS.o crtbeginT.o
crtend.o crtendS.o  gcc-cross cc1obj protoize unprotoize specs collect2
collect2 gcov *.[0-9][0-9].* *.[si] libcpp.a libbackend.a libgcc.mk  stage1
mv: cannot stat `s-crt0': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `crtbegin.o': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `crtbeginS.o': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `crtbeginT.o': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `crtend.o': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `crtendS.o': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `gcc-cross': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `cc1obj': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `protoize': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `unprotoize': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `collect2': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `gcov': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `*.[0-9][0-9].*': No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat `*.[si]': No such file or directory
make[2]: [stage1-start] Error 1 (ignored)
mv intl/*.o stage1/intl
mv: cannot stat `intl/*.o': No such file or directory
make[2]: [stage1-start] Error 1 (ignored)

I'm doing this from Mandrake 10.0 and followed up every thing the book tells
me to.
Again, I'm kind of a noob to all this, so if there's important things
missing, please ask for them.

Thanks,
Patrick