Proposed Change - RFC - net-tools to iproute2

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Sat Jun 26 16:05:57 PDT 2004

I'm currently proposing a change, I have made this change on my system and
it does effect performance.

I propose the move from net-tools to iproute2.
LFS
   Pros:
        1 - It is actively been maintained by
http://developer.osdl.org/dev/iproute2/
              Last update was on 6-8-2004
        2 - net-tools is not beeing maintained
               Last update was on 4-15-2001
        3 - More network functionality
   Cons:
        1 - Modification of all network scripts (I have patch made if this
gets approve)
        2 - Using coreutils hostname (Need to remove hostname from the
suppress patch)
BLFS
    Cons:
        1 - Patch needed for dhcpd server (I have patch already made)

I have modified my local copy of the lfs-book. You can view the modified
book that doesn't include net-tools at
http://documents.jg555.com/lfs/

All patches are available at
http://ftp.jg555.com/patches/iproute2/

For those who want to try it out. Here is a list of bootscript Changes
Bootscript Changes

static
 old
   echo "using 255.255.255.0"
   NETMASK=255.255.255.0
 new
   echo "using /24"
   NETMASK=24

 old
   ifconfig $1 $IP netmask $NETMASK broadcast $BROADCAST
 new
   ip link set $1 up
   ip addr add $IP/$NETMASK broadcast $BROADCAST label $1 dev $1

 old
   ifconfig $1 down
 new
   ip link set $1 down

 old
   if route -n | grep -q '^0\.0\.0\.0'; then
 new
   if ip route | grep -q default; then

 old
   route add default gateway $GATEWAY metric 1 dev $1
 new
   ip route add default via $GATEWAY dev $1
-----
localnet
 old
   ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
 new
   ip link set lo up
   ip addr add 127.0.0.1/8 dev label lo dev lo

 old
   ifconfig lo down
 new
   ip link set lo down
-----
network
 old
   route add default gateway $GATEWAY metric 1 \
    dev $GATEWAY_IF
 new
   ip route add default via $GATEWAY dev $GATEWAY_IF

 old
   route del -net default
 new
   ip route del default