Proposed Change - RFC - net-tools to iproute2

Jim Gifford lfs at jg555.com
Sat Jun 26 21:32:36 PDT 2004

Thank Bryan for pointing out my typo, I will correctly state my point.

It does not affect system performance.

As for as hostname, the hostname from coreutils doesn't support -f. There is
a big archive list on this particular topic.
Here is the start of the thread
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2003-10/msg00037.html

nstat - is nothing like netstat, it reads the snmp information from the
kernel to
          give statistics

As far as bugs in net-tools, there are a lot of them. Some know and some
not.

    Patches seen at mandrake, debian, and gentoo for

    gcc-3.x patches of course are one bug
    nameif has a problem mapping correct names
    ipx protocol bugs with in netstat
    ipv6 lookup issues
    virtualname(don't really understand this one myself)
    fhs compliance
    token ring issues on sparc
    net-tools: appletalk changes in /proc from 2.4 to 2.6 cause ddp failures
in ifconfig and netstat.
    ifconfig doesn't report PROMISC status of network interface
    ifconfig when used to down an alias will down the main interface too.
    http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=net-tools