Proposed Change - RFC - net-tools to iproute2

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 27 09:27:46 PDT 2004

Jim Gifford wrote:
> Thank Bryan for pointing out my typo, I will correctly state my point.
>
> It does not affect system performance.
>
> As for as hostname, the hostname from coreutils doesn't support -f. There is
> a big archive list on this particular topic.
> Here is the start of the thread
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-coreutils/2003-10/msg00037.html

I couldn't find anything definative on -f?

Looks to me no change.  The initial discussion was in October of 2003.
Next discussion was in Jan of 2004 where it looked like the necessary
changes were taken from gettext's internal hostname.  But 5.2.1 (March
2004) does not have the changes.  I didn't look where to get cvs from.

I personally would like to see the change to iproute 2, but I think at
least parts of net-tools would to have to stay; hostname and netstat
have already been discussed...also ifconfig and route (as recomended in
older versions of the iproute2 hint) should stay as just about everyone
who would need iproute2 would probably be familiar with ip's use.
Unfortunately, not the rest of the world is, as ifconfig and route were
still included with the above mentioned distros last time I checked.

Another thing, it has a db4 dependacy (I don't know what for or wether
it's optional) which could potentially mean adding two more packages to
remove whatever is left of net-tools (minus ifconfig, route, netstat,
and hostname).

Now, even with the above arguments against it, I still think it's time
to *add* iproute2 *if* we can get past the db4 dep.

-- DJ Lucas