Proposed Change - RFC - net-tools to iproute2

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jun 27 12:15:15 PDT 2004

Bryan Kadzban wrote:
> DJ Lucas wrote:
>
>> Another thing, it has a db4 dependacy (I don't know what for or
>> wether it's optional) which could potentially mean adding two more
>> packages to remove whatever is left of net-tools (minus ifconfig,
>> route, netstat, and hostname).
>

> The book that Jim posted a link to in the original proposal message has
> a patch for iproute2 to remove that db4 dependency, actually.  I haven't
> looked at the actual patch though, so I don't know exactly what it does.

It removes arpd...hardly useful for the average lfser anyways, (unless
your running lisa on a class A network and it's filling up the arp cache
quicker than the kernel can clean it up :-) ).  But that reminds me of
another tool required from net-tools; arp.  Both iprout2 and net-tools
would have to be present at this point, but IMO without db4 being
necessary, I think it most definately could be a nice addition to LFS.

-- DJ Lucas