Proposed Change - RFC - net-tools to iproute2

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Sun Jun 27 19:00:10 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> * I've had a look at http://www.lartc.org and `netstat` `route` and
> `ifconfig` would all appear to be covered by the `ip` binary, at
> least the functionality I'd expect in a *base* system, i.e. LFS, is
> described in http://lartc.org/howto/lartc.iproute2.explore.html.

I don't see a netstat equivalent on that page at all, though.  Except
for "netstat -r" (show the routing tables), which is of course covered
in a routing/filtering tool.

I need to be able to see the current set of network connections (and the
processes using them) somehow, and with net-tools, "netstat -anp" is the
way to do it.  With iproute2, I haven't seen anything yet that does the
same thing.

> My opinion is based on: 1) Can I bring an interface up/down 2) Can I
> see which interfaces are up 3) Can I view & change the routing
> tables.

These are all covered, yes (plus the function of the old arp binary is
covered even without arpd -- "ip neigh show" will print the ARP cache
like arp -a used to).

> I'd be interested to hear from you if there are any core networking
> features I've left out here that a base system should be able to
> handle.

IMO, showing the current set of open sockets (listening, connected, all,
or whatever combination) is absolutely essential in a *workable* system.
Whether that applies to a *base* system is going to be up to others, I
guess, but I would *strongly* advise that we include the functionality
somewhere.  If it's put into BLFS, that would work, but I don't want it
to just be dropped.