Proposed Change - RFC - net-tools to iproute2

Joel Miller cheeziologist at mail.isc.rit.edu
Sun Jun 27 19:15:28 PDT 2004

Bryan Kadzban wrote:
<snip>
> IMO, showing the current set of open sockets (listening, connected, all,
> or whatever combination) is absolutely essential in a *workable* system.
> Whether that applies to a *base* system is going to be up to others, I
> guess, but I would *strongly* advise that we include the functionality
> somewhere.  If it's put into BLFS, that would work, but I don't want it
> to just be dropped.

I adamently agree. Netstat is an immensly useful tool and something I
use on a regular basis. I would prefer netstat be part of LFS but I
suppose I could see an argument for sticking it in BLFS. Just out of
curiosity, would there be problems if one were to install both iproute2
and net-tools? I'm not suggesting the book do this but I wonder if the
two are interoperable as I am used to the syntax and output of ifconfig.
Is it possible to do something like bring an interface up with ifconfig
and then bring it down with ip? If so, it would make my move towards
learning iproute2 a bit easier I think.

--
Registered LFS User 6929
Registered Linux User 298182