Proposed Change - RFC - net-tools to iproute2

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Mon Jun 28 09:49:14 PDT 2004

On Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 01:27:53AM -0500, DJ Lucas wrote:
> I even took 5 extra seconds to put in the coreutils version message
> and credit hostname to the net-tools package.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this.  Do you mean you copied
the version string from the rest of coreutils?  If so, then startx may
not work as intended.

/usr/X11R6/bin/startx checks a few things before it decides whether to
use hostname -f or just plain hostname.  First, you have to be running
Linux (according to uname), otherwise it just uses "hostname".  Second,
it checks whether the output of "hostname --version" contains the string
"GNU".  If it does not, then it runs hostname -f.  Otherwise, it runs
just plain hostname.

Presumably this is a workaround for coreutils' "broken" (at least, it's
broken IMO) handling of the -f argument.  But if you copied the version
string from coreutils and put it into the net-tools source, then I think
that the new hostname's --version output will still contain the string
"GNU", so startx won't use the -f option.

startx then uses the output of whichever hostname it executes to check
the xauth data of display :0 and <that hostname>:0 (unless you pass :1
or some other display number to startx), to ensure that the current user
is properly authorized.  So I don't think that it getting the short
hostname is a huge deal, but presumably there's some reason it's using
the fqdn if it can, right?