Proposed Change - RFC - net-tools to iproute2

DJ Lucas dj at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jun 28 18:51:30 PDT 2004

Bryan Kadzban wrote:

> /usr/X11R6/bin/startx checks a few things before it decides whether to
> use hostname -f or just plain hostname.  First, you have to be running
> Linux (according to uname), otherwise it just uses "hostname".  Second,
> it checks whether the output of "hostname --version" contains the string
> "GNU".  If it does not, then it runs hostname -f.  Otherwise, it runs
> just plain hostname.

 From xorg-6.7.0's /usr/X11R6/bin/startx

# set up default Xauth info for this machine
case `uname` in
Linux*)
         if [ -z "`hostname --version 2>&1 | grep GNU`" ]; then
                 hostname=`hostname -f`
         else
                 hostname=`hostname`
         fi
         ;;
*)
         hostname=`hostname`
         ;;
esac

And look at the coreutils version string again.  It changed.  There is
no 'GNU'.
[dj at name1 coreutils-5.2.1]# ls --version
ls (coreutils) 5.2.1
Written by Richard Stallman and David MacKenzie.

[dj at name1 coreutils-5.2.1]#

I guess that change is what broke xfree86 back in the sh-utils. And
coincidently, that was what the thread that I couldn't find was about.
Thanks!

-- DJ Lucas