Proposed Change - RFC - net-tools to iproute2

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jun 29 07:42:11 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:

>2) Dependency on Berkeley DB
>
>* If we suppress the building of `arp` then we no longer require db.
>I'd assume that ARP isn't too common a requirement for a base system,
>and that you'll know if you need it.  As long as we point to BLFS (and
>BLFS has instructions for rebuilding iproute2 with db support) then I
>don't see this as an issue.

I would prefer that the package instructions be there only once. If the
only addition required is db, then why not add it to LFS? There is no
educational value in installing iproute once in LFS and then
reinstalling it in BLFS.

Addition of db does not conflict with the current goals of LFS where we
are building a functional system, not a minimal system. The dependency
can be marked as optional along with the patch.