RFC, renaming loadkeys to console

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 1 12:59:22 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
[snip]

> The patch _is_ incomplete, the missing parts are:
>
> - the addition of LC_* variables to /etc/profile in BLFS
 > - removal of inputrc from BLFS because it is in LFS

I remember a conversation a couple months ago about moving /etc/profile
and /etc/inputrc into the LFS book and pulling them from the BLFS book
to help with full i18n of the base and help with full i18n in BLFS.  I
found this summary

http://archives.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-dev/2004-March/042911.html

Is this dead?  if we go this route, I think we need to go 100%.

> - addition of /etc/sysconfig/console the console initscript to the list
> of installed files in the appendix (don't know how to code this in XML)
>
> I think that these tasks are trivial.
>
> And for stability... well, the console script itself could break
> nothing. And if a package beaks from setting a locale in /etc/profile,
> it is not a _new_ problem, but a problem that was _already_ present in
> the book. Just think that setting LC_* in /etc/profile was an obligatory
> deviation for non-English users. Conclusion: my patch does not lower the
> stability as compared to LFS built with such obligatory deviations.
>
> One more proposed change: build texinfo with LC_ALL set correctly (not
> to "C"). This will install the top info node translated to your
> language. Not a big win, but an eye candy :)

My $0.02
James