New version of the console script

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Sun May 2 09:10:51 PDT 2004

Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> I have only been half following this thread since I don't have any
> issues with keyboard/fonts/language, but I am wondering if there should
> be a separate section of the book that addresses internationalization
> that would put all the issues in one place.  IOW, build a 'stock' system
> and then go back and fix those things that need fixing.

The instructions are already in three consecutive pages in Chapter 8 in
LFS. I don't think that putting comments (like "LFS does not work in
ja_JP locale" or "the default configuration of man is correct although
it looks wrong") together is the right thing.

> One could also make a case that this section be put in BLFS too.

That's what I suggested first (see the old "move loadkeys to BLFS"
thread). This has been rejected by the community, although the recent
poll shows clearly that they don't have a stable opinion. I made this
conclusion because the concepts of "keeping loadkeys in LFS", "setting
LC_ALL in /etc/profile only in BLFS", and "keeping all i18n stuff
together" are not logically compatible.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .