Console script release 20040504

Alexander E. Patrakov see at the.sig
Mon May 3 20:00:44 PDT 2004

After some discussion with Anderson Lizardo, I decided to update the
console script. The tarball containing files to be installed is
attached. WARNING: this version depends upon agetty being called in such
a way from /etc/inittab:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -I '\033(K' tty1 9600
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -I '\033(K' tty2 9600
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -I '\033(K' tty3 9600
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -I '\033(K' tty4 9600
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -I '\033(K' tty5 9600
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -I '\033(K' tty6 9600

The additional -I '\033(K' switches make no harm to native English
speakers. The console script no longer contains the ugly "for" loop.

I also separated out the dubious bs-del fix into the file
/etc/kbd/bs-senfs-del, and provided some other common fixes.

In short, the script itself is as simple and stupid as possible.
Therefore, it is stable. Documentation for the book follows.

The "console" script reads the configuration file
/etc/sysconfig/console. If the file is not present, the script does nothing.

If the file is present, it should set the "KEYMAP" and "FONT" variables
that are passed to "loadkeys" and "setfont" programs from the "kbd"
package as arguments. If any of these variables is not set, the
corresponding program is not being run.

Since there are cases when the user is almost, but not completely,
satisfied with a particular keymap, the script also examines the
"KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS" variable and passes it to the "loadkeys" program as
an argument if it is set. A common use for this variable is to make the
Backspace and Delete keys to send the same characters as they do in the
default keymap designed by Linus Torvalds. Some other common tweaks and
fixes are also provided by the "lfs-bootscripts" package in files under
/etc/kbd. Their function is described in comments at the top of each file.

If you need to pass more than one argument to a program, use quotes. For
example, for Russians who like the "ru" keymap, but want to fix the
Backspace and Delete keys, the the following configuration file is correct:

KEYMAP="ru1"
KEYMAP_CORRECTIONS="/etc/kbd/bs-sends-del"
FONT="cp866-8x16 -m koi2alt"

Alexander E. Patrakov
To get my address: echo '0!42!+/6 at 5-3.535.25' | tr [!-:] [a-z] | tr n .