[Proposal] Maintaining Patch Symlinks for the books

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Tue May 4 07:51:35 PDT 2004

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Owing to the existence of multiple branches of the book, I would like
> to propose a different approach to maintaining the patches for each
> branch of the book.
>
> Each branch would have a file named patches in the LFS/BOOK
> repository. This file would just be a list of all the patches that are
> required. For example:
>
> coretutils/coreutils-5.2.1-uname-1.patch
> flex/flex-2.5.31-debian-fixes-2.patch
> inetutils/inetutils-1.4.2-kernel-2.6-1.patch
> net-tools/net-tools-1.60-kernel-2.6-1.patch
> sysklogd/sysklogd-1.4.1-kernel_header.patch
> util-linux/util-linux-2.12a-kernel-dj-2.6-1.patch
>

> When the book is generated, the website script would loop thru this
> file and create the appropriate symlinks for patches in the
> www.linuxfromscratch.org/patches/{,b}lfs/[branch]. For example,
> something as simple as:
>
>    cd $patches_dir
>    for patch in $(cat patches)
>    do
>        ln -sf ../../downloads/$patch
>    done
>
> There are some advantages to this approach:
>
>    * It would remove the kludge in the current website script where the
>      above directories are backed up and restored.
>    * The control will be in the hands of the editors so that they can
>      change it as and when they edit the book. No more missing patches.
>    * No more stale patches in the directory anymore.
>    * Easier on the maintainers :-)
>
> Opinions?

Sounds reasonable to me.  One enhancement I'd like to see is a
lfs-patches-$version.tar file that includes requird and optional patches
when a *stable* (only) version of the book is released.  That way we
have a historical consolidation of patches and allow a user to get all
the patches in one operation.

Its unnecessary to compress it, but that would be optional.

  -- Bruce