CVS Changes

James Robertson jwrober at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 4 10:55:07 PDT 2004

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Now that lfs-5.1-pre2 is out, the structure of CVS has changed somewhat.
>
> CVS HEAD is now open for large-scale changes, including new build
> methods (should we need/invent one) and major package upgrades
> (toolchain and kernel related).  It is to be considered an unstable
> area as there are no longer any guarantees as to the stability of a
> system built from HEAD.
>
> The b6_0 branch is where development for LFS-6.0 will be taking place.
> At the moment a pre1 release is imminent.  This branch contains
> kernel-2.6 and associated tools.  This is in effect is what the previous
> CVS HEAD was, in that it's relatively stable but not yet mainstream.
>
> The b5_1 branch is where all commits are to be made for the upcoming 5.1
> release.  As this is a pre-release, systems built from this book should
> be stable, and only bug-fixes, spelling and typo related changes can be
> made.  As outlined previously the glibc tarball will be renamed once
> complete, but this is the *only* exception to the previous restrictions.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Matt.

I would suggest that real soon someone updates the editor's guide.  I
for one have stayed out of CVS all this time to help with commits
because I don't want to screw anything up!  If we make a commit to a
branch, aren't we also supposed to send it to HEAD?  I may be wrong, so
having a formally written procedure for editors to follow is real
important now that stuff has changed.

Thanks
James