5.1 Release Criteria

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Tue May 4 14:11:12 PDT 2004

> On Tue, 4 May 2004 14:11:49 -0600 (MDT)
> "Nathan Coulson" <conathan at conet.dyndns.org> wrote:

>> >it> comes to LFS).  It should be added for BLFS's sake.
>> >
>> > Ack, why are BLFS scripts in a LFS-Bootscript tarball?  Sorry if I
>> > missed the previous discussion on this, but doesn't it just create
>> > an unnecessary dependency between the two projects?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Matt.
>> > --
>>
>> Tushar requested it. more or less we have a seperate install target,
>> such as make install-sshd to install the sshd scripts.
>>
>> it's been that way for a couple months now.  [since 2.0.2 or .3 I dont
>> recall].
>
> Fair enough.  In the future when we call a package freeze then this will
> apply to the bootscripts package as well, but for now you're free to
> update it on 2 conditions a) It doesn't touch any of the LFS scripts and
> b) The BLFS guys OK the changes to their scripts.  I hope you can
> understand the need for some kind of configuration management and change
> control here.  Let me know as soon as you're done so I can update the
> book a.s.a.p.  If this is to work out I think the BLFS & LFS guys need
> to declare a package freeze at the same time, in case any of their
> packages need new/updated scripts as is the case now AFAIUI.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt.
> --

The script change request came directly from the blfs-dev group, until LFS
5.1 is released I dont want to attempt to make them better (or worse
trying).  Looks like they want to add cyrus and samba 3.x soon though );
[2 more additional scripts].

I have been attempting to keep the LFS portion of the bootscripts
unchanged for the most part, except the addition of winkie's createfiles
script, and the cleaning of /tmp, and the addition for the bootscripts to
work with belfs.  (which was mounting /sys, and making a hole where udev
can be added in the future).  Anyway, here are the changes for review.

2.0.1, wanted to make sure the find command did not delete /tmp
2.0.2, none
2.0.3, moved S10swap to S20 swap, changed "press enter" to red, and Zack's
createfiles script (currently used in XFree86's /tmp/.ICE-unix directory
creation)
2.0.4, threw udev into contrib, no impact on current LFS, as well as a
optional module loading script, no impact on current LFS.  Added /sys to
mountkernfs [used to be mountproc], if sysfs was in /proc/filesystems.
removed NO_FS variable from mountfs, since things are already added to
/etc/mtab.
2.0.5 none

I have alexander's i18n changes in CVS, but I kept them out of 2.0.5, and
future bootscripts meant for LFS 5.1

I am sorry about such changes, and I do think I understand the need to
keep it stable.  (Although I thought the development on the BLFS
bootscripts was semi-necessary at this time).  I am hoping this wont be
the case in the future.