[ANNOUNCE] LFS-Bootscripts 2.1.0

Nathan Coulson conathan at conet.dyndns.org
Tue May 4 21:58:52 PDT 2004

> Yo guys,
>
> First off, I've never released the bootscripts before, so please forgive
> my cluelessness.  Nathan's not around though, and a new revision was due
> in order to keep the 6.x books happy.
>
> Hono{,u}rable mentions in this release:
>   o  Integration of Alexander Patrakov's console script.
>   o  Modified the re-creation of the /var/run/utmp file, so that it gets
>      chgrp utmp, if that group is present.
>   o  Udev support is now the default.
>   o  Moved the default gateway configuration to the per-device config
>      file so that 'ifup' and 'ifdown' bring up/down the gateway too.
>   o  Collect a list of PIDs to kill from /var/run/*.pid if it exists.

actually, if you stick
PIDFILE=/var/run/something.pid,
it'll translate into
kill `cat $PIDFILE`,

otherwise, it'll just use pidof.  since none of the scripts have PIDFILE
set to anything yet... it's sortof moot.

Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 00:52:21 -0500
From: Bruce Dubbs <bdubbs at swbell.net>
To: LFS Development List <lfs-dev at linuxfromscratch.org>
Subject: Re: 5.1 Release Criteria

Matthew Burgess wrote:

>On Tue, 4 May 2004 14:04:01 -0600 (MDT)
>"Nathan Coulson" <conathan at conet.dyndns.org> wrote:
>

>>2.0.5 is 2.0.4 with the heimdal script in it (AKA, no changes when it
>>comes to LFS).  It should be added for BLFS's sake.
>>

>Ack, why are BLFS scripts in a LFS-Bootscript tarball?  Sorry if I
>missed the previous discussion on this, but doesn't it just create an
>unnecessary dependency between the two projects?

Nathan,
  Why not separate the LFS and BLFS scripts.  In the LFS Makefile, put in:

-include blfs/Makefile

The dash indicates that make should ignore the file is it can't be found.

We can place all the BLFS stuff in blfs/Makefile and support files.  The
lfs package then only contains the
main LFS scripts and then we have the users download a separate blfs
scripts package, when they get to the BLFS Book,
that unpacks from the same start point to, say,
/usr/src/bootscripts/blfs.  This would also allow the BLFS scripts to
stand alone.

In any case, the LFS instructions need to be expanded to tell the user
to keep the bootscripts package around for BLFS.

Another last thought.  I didn't test it but the include statement might
be even better as:

-include */Makefile

which allows us to drop new directories into the main bootscripts
directory at any time.

  -- Bruce