error in book

Bruce Adler bruce.adler at acm.org
Wed May 5 14:44:58 PDT 2004

I'm not certain if this is the proper method to report bugs.
But I just discovered your project and tried reading the latest
online version of your book via this link:

        http://lfs.oregonstate.edu/lfs/view/test/

But my browser on this system (IE6.1) doesn't like the book's HTML.
Specifically line #4 is not valid:

1    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="iso-8859-1" standalone="no"?>
2    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
3        "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

4        <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

You can verify this by checking the output of the W3 validator:

        http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://lfs.oregonstate.edu/lfs/view/test/

That META element on line #4 looks like an out of place duplicate
of line #9.

Strangely, if I copy that page's source to a local file, my browser
ignores the HTML error (but of course the hyperlinks don't work
since I don't (yet) have any of the rest of the book on my disk).