[REPOST] locales in tests (5.1pre2)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Thu May 6 16:34:15 PDT 2004

Apologies to people on the mailing list who saw most of this earlier,
and a big hello to people reading the news!

OK, so I'm obviously doing something wrong, but I'll ask here because it
looks like the wording of the book is maybe missing something.

I've had problems with gettext in the past - it fails tests and outputs
what looks like good French to the screen, or at least it would if the
font was set to display it properly.  Discovered this only happened if I
went for the "minimal" locales, so chickened out and just installed all
of them.

Testing 5.1pre2, even I ought to be able to get it to work with the
minimal locales.  But now we've got fa_IR added my problems are growing
instead of diminishing.

gettext -

`printf of translation wrong' followed by FAIL: format-c-5 (this was the
one we added fa_IR for)

later, lang-c, lang-c++, lang-sh, lang-gawk all seem to fail on French

perl -

/run/fresh_perl.t line 53 (fa_IR)

lib/locale failed at test 105

Do I need to set some sort of LC variable when I enter chroot ?
printenv looks pretty sparse, I'm reasonably happy I've got all of the
settings from the book, and I'm semi-confident that just installing all
of the locales will fix this.

Ken