5.1-pre2 space measurements (ch5)

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat May 8 12:30:57 PDT 2004

On Sat, 8 May 2004 19:24:30 +0100 (BST)
Ken Moffat <ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net> wrote:

>  As part of my tests, I'm reviewing the "required disk space" values.

Thanks.  My builds actually log these, but I'm lazy and never actually
look at them...maybe this will change now!

> I'm assuming that the book's "MB" are what we now have to learn to
> call"MiB", i.e. they're binary megabytes.

When I were a lad, there was only one kind of megabyte (1024
kilobytes, which was 1024 bytes).  No idea what LFS uses though, but I
will say, when I update the package sizes (in chapter 3) I use
bytes/1024.

> The space for the following packages seems wrong in the book. In most
> cases, I blame the extra source you get with a version increment.

Yep, that's likely the most common cause.

> linux-2.4.26 (headers) - up to 193MiB (book: 186MB)
>
> glibc, with the minimal set of locales, 872MiB (book: 800MB) - we've
> got nptl and linuxthreads both in the source now.
>
> dejagnu - I'm down to a smidgeon over 6MiB (book: 8.6MB), has it
> really shrunk with version increments ?

Yes, dejagnu-1.4.4 was largely rewritten, which could well have reduced
it's size considerably.

>  If these figures are worth maintaining, nobody should feel bad about
> not recording and updating them every time there's a version change -
> changing the toolchain also affects these.  It's a pre-release task,
> which is why I'm mentioning it now.

Thanks very much Ken, I'll update them tonight.  BTW: If anyone's got
accurate and up-to-date lists of files installed I'd appreciate them :)

Best regards,

Matt.