What is LFS anyway?

Archaic archaic at indy.rr.com
Sat May 8 22:33:07 PDT 2004

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 04:16:22PM +0100, Richard A Downing FBCS wrote:

> How about something defined by the point where it can be booted with
> sufficient peripherals working, and a set of tools, to start the BLFS
> add-on.

What are sufficient peripherals? To my mind, that sounds like a
hardrive, monitor, and keyboard. No mouse, no flash cards. Bare,
configured, ready to go with BLFS.

And Jeroen, I like your summary list. I think we should start with that
and hammer on it as it seems the most complete and sane starting point
to reaching conclusion I've seen.

> I'm concerned that, without hotplug for instance, people without legacy
> interfaces and a USB keyboard can't boot into their new LFS.  I'm
> assuming PC hardware, if for nothing else, for selfish reasons :-)

Forgive my ignorance here, but does the kernel *require* building USB
services as modules? If not, then I would have to question the
necessity, or even the reasoning, one would have with building something
as fundamental as a USB root HD or USB keyboard as a module. When are
you going to ever unload it?

Also, does the 2.6 kernel require udev?  Would it not be safer to stick
with static devs (as backup in case something screws up) and link to a
udev hint that puts the bare essentials (like hotplug) in it thus
satisfying all users with instructions to their needs/desires?

--
Archaic

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and
hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless
series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

- H.L. Mencken