What is LFS anyway?

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun May 9 09:54:07 PDT 2004

Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:

> One more point here is that our user should not need to reboot into
> his base distro once he built LFS. He should be able to read further
> instructions online and download packages.
>
> This does mean that we should have a dhcp client, pppd and lynx in LFS.

+1

These tools Alexander mentions properly belong in BLFS.  I don't use
them on any of my systems. On my home network I use static IP addresses
and for testing generally work out of a chroot environment.  I do ensure
the kernel on my booted system is up to date with the system I'm
testing.  A user does need to reboot into LFS after building to test it,
but can easily work out of the older environment until any needed tools
are installed.

I would be in favor of expanding Chapter 9 to tell the user *how* the
new system can be customized for individual needs.  This includes using
chroot from the host system until those packages the user needs are
installed.  Suggested packages to install early for a desktop system
would include communication (dhcp client, wget, etc) and X+Window manager.

  -- Bruce