[RFC] Hotplug inclusion

Anderson Lizardo lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun May 9 14:22:50 PDT 2004

On Sunday 09 May 2004 14:46, Ronald Hummelink wrote:
> > OK, then if hotplug goes into the book, we either need to include
> > usbutils or strongly suggest building the USB host controller drivers as
> > modules; personally I won't do that, so I'll need usbutils.
>
> 1) It seems the kernel is rather moving away from modules then towards
> it.

Can you show me a URL pointer to this "recommendation"? You are not the first
person I see affirming this, so I feel strange for not knowing exactly where
(and by whom) this was stated. I know about the security concerns of a
modularized kernel, and that's it.

> 2) Using a module for something you >always< use is rather silly (in
> many peoples view).

I don't think so. Sometimes a module seems more practical, like to support
proprietary code on the kernel (a.k.a. tainted kernel). I don't support the
proprietary development, but I don't like to see Nvidia removing linux
support for its cards because modularizated driver support was removed from
the kernel.

IMHO, another application for modules is to isolate conflicting code. On
Debian, my PS/2 mouse is detected as a touchpad by hotplug, which prevents it
from work correctly, so I just needed to blacklist that t.p. module. The same
for my Ethernet Pro 100 network card which has two alternative drivers
available.

--
Anderson Lizardo
lizardo at linuxfromscratch.org