What is LFS anyway?

Bruce Dubbs bdubbs at swbell.net
Sun May 9 14:52:00 PDT 2004

Bill's LFS Login wrote:

>On Sun, 9 May 2004, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>

>>I would be in favor of expanding Chapter 9 to tell the user *how* the
>>new system can be customized for individual needs.  This includes using
>>chroot from the host system until those packages the user needs are
>>installed.  Suggested packages to install early for a desktop system
>>would include communication (dhcp client, wget, etc) and X+Window manager.
>>

>With the availability of VT's, I consider X unneeded for a *base*
>platform. Just include gpm, most of BLFS Chapter 3 stuff, and a
>*minimal* browser. That plus network connectivity seems enough to me.
>Think about it: what's the *big* difference between doing X+* in the end
>of Chapter 9 and doing it as the (user chosen) early effort of BLFS? A
>lot in terms of book size, because of dependencies, and little
>conceptually. If the user has the foresight to download BLFS and a
>browser, we can even eliminate the net connectivity rqmt. If the user is
>comfy with CLI, only convenience is lost if no gpm (of course this is
>easily overcome with a text version of books and vi). Wget? A bash-only
>solution was posted many moons ago (inelegant to read, but so what?).

I hope you didn't think I was advocating putting those apps in LFS.  I
certainly was not.  I was suggesting a method users could use to
continue to build packages that they may want.  Chapter 9 could mention
the limitations of the base LFS system and suggest alternative methods
for customizing  their new LFS based system.  It  already has pointers
to BLFS, hints, and other resources.

  -- Bruce