Guiding Principles (Repost)

DJ Lucas dj at lucasit.com
Sun May 9 15:02:07 PDT 2004

I generally don't like reposting, but this well defined list was kind of
lost in the previous thread.  Jeroen, I hope you do not mind, but I
thought this deserved it's own thread.  I've reposted it for discussion
as is from the previous post.  Keep in mind that this does fit pretty
well with the current unwritten (AFAIK) guidelines.  Please add to and
take away from, and try to justify and discuss below the revised lists.

Jeroen Coumans wrote:

 > I'd like to offer some guiding principles for evaluating/changing the
 > package set which currently comprise "an LFS system":
 > - we build a system which can recreate itself without external tools
 > - we configure each package we install
 > - we only add packages if they are a (new) build requirement for a
 >   base package
 > - the base system is able to perform the following functions:
 >   * recreate itself
 >   * sustain itself (thus: be able to boot, shutdown, login, repair,
 >     log etc.)
 >   * provide basic file manipulation (the standard UNIX tools)
 >   * provide basic network functionality, excluding servers
 >
 > I propose we work on a set that the majority agrees on and use these
 > principles for determining the most proper package set for LFS. When
 > we're done, we should be able to justify the existence of each package
 > we built. Perhaps we can motivate this justification in the book
 > itself, eg. "we install vim because a basic system requires a text
 > editor".
 >
 > Hopefully, clear guidelines will also diminish the ever-returning
 > question of adding/removing packages.

-- DJ Lucas