What is LFS anyway?

Richard A Downing FBCS richard at 109bean.org.uk
Sun May 9 22:49:52 PDT 2004

Jeremy Utley wrote:

> Just a few weeks ago, people were complaining because there was no
> development, now there's development again
> and people are STILL complaining.  Make up your mind guys, please?

Different people.

I'm bored with this thread now.  How about this for a game plan.

Over the next few weeks put extra packages and configuration advice in
HEAD.  The extra packages are those needed to boot a late-model PC with
sufficient networking to attach to a typical ISP and:
1) render BLFS (to see what to do next)
2) download packages by ftp and http. (to get the sources)
3) build BLFS (to build them - we can do this now)
4) access email on the console (for support).

Then, take a poll on how it looks.  If we agree it's too top-heavy,
sling selected stuff out until we are happy.

My alternative strategy, which I suggested on Hackers, but was flamed
for it, is to fork the book.  The minimalists run their fork and the
revolutionaries add what they think necessary to theirs. (When, in the
course of human....)

R.
--
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP