What is LFS anyway?

Tushar Teredesai tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 10 00:03:46 PDT 2004

jeremy at jutley.org wrote:

>And why shouldn't it?  At the very least one LFS package utilizes it to
>provide history functions, possibly more.

I was not talking about readline in particular. It was a general
observation.

>Plus, if we install it in
>chapter 6, we get the added benefit of being able to link bash to an
>independent readline, making upgrading the readline library in the future
>possible..  IMHO, that in and of itself is reason enough to put it in.

I am not arguing that. In fact, if I remember correctly I was for
readline when it was suggested on the lists along with some other
packages like which.

But from what you mention it seems that there should not be any
discussion on the topic and whatever an editor decides is final. And
that is a trend I would like to avoid.

--
Tushar Teredesai
   http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar/