What is LFS anyway?

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 10 01:15:55 PDT 2004

jeremy at jutley.org said the following on 10-05-2004 08:02:

> DHCP/PPP (for connectivity, that'll account for about 99% of the
> connections out there)
> Lynx (to browse - this gives the ability to use the online BLFS-book
> to download and build packages.

There's obviously a philosophical distinction between teaching a user
the inner workings of LFS by building a basic system from source, and
guiding a user to create a fully functional base distro. The goals are
different, although not mutually exclusive.

I think we have reached the point where a decision should be made by one
of the Powers That Be (Matthew, Gerard) to determine the long-term goals
of LFS, perhaps by giving a summary of all arguments in this thread? I
suspect most people have given their opinion and are longing for a
conclusion.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans