LFS-5.1pre2 space figures (ch6+)

Jochen Schroeder jschrod at uni-muenster.de
Mon May 10 03:50:06 PDT 2004

Ian Molton wrote:
> On Sun, 09 May 2004 13:29:28 +0200
> Allard Welter <allard at nospam.nl> wrote:
>

>>I Wasn't aware of these units - thanks for the ref. A definate +1 for SI
>>units. Folks will encounter them sooner or later, so why not through
>>LFS, it is a teaching tool after all.
>

> NONONO. dont. stupid nasty SI dumbass unit rearrangement.

What you're failing to see, is that this is actually not a "stupid nasty
SI dumbass unit rearrangement" (emphasis on rearrangement), but it's
actually making up for a stupid nasty dumbass ignoring of sientific
standarts by computer "scientists". a kilo is 10^3 if everybody made up
their own definition of kilo we might as well go back to the mediaval
times where every town had a measurement of a cubit (dunno if that's the
right word just looked it up in a dictionary) and it had a different
length in every town. Just because it has been used for a long time
doesn't make it right, although it might be more convenient for people
_currently_ involved in computers, because they don't have to relearn
something, in 30 years time nobody will give a horses ass that a
kilobyte used to be 1024 bytes.

Jochen

replies to lfs-chat please