What is LFS anyway?

Richard A Downing FBCS richard at 109bean.org.uk
Mon May 10 07:18:52 PDT 2004

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Mon, 10 May 2004, Jon wrote:
>

>>Joel Miller wrote:
>>

>>>As much as I always install a dhcp client on all the machines I build,
>>
>>if we stick dhcp
>>
>>>into the base LFS, whose instructions are to be followed in order and
>>
>>none are to be
>>
>>>skipped, what dhcp client will go into the book. Therein lies the
>>
>>problem as I see it. I >happen to use and like dhclient. Other people I
>>know use dhcpcd. Yet others I know use a >program called pump which I
>>have no knowledge of. The choise of client should be up to
>>
>>>the user. Is it enough that perhaps we point them to the dhcp section
>>
>>in BLFS?
>>
>>Why can there not be an option as to which to install?  When reading
>>from top to bottom, you can say "At this point you have a choice...".
>>If someone can build LFS, then I am sure that they can follow the part
>>where you skip section X.y.B and X.y.C if you did X.y.A
>>

>  Notice that as the community grows, the number of LFS "product lines"
> is growing towards the debian model.  That isn't a problem, but it means
> the expertise will be spread more narrowly.  Adding *optional* things
> into LFS is just going to make it harder to test a release.
>
> Ken

I've had another idea.

If we had a an offical format, individuals and groups could collaborate
on 'appendix' style, xml-based, rendered to fit-in with LFS,
'how-to-make it work in situation-X'.

Isn't this Hints, I hear you say?  But I was thinking of a more 'stamped
with the LFS approval mark' and matched to the lfs-version.  I see hints
as 'I did this and it worked for me' - which is not quite the same thing.

That way the book could be bare bones - which will suit one camp;  but
everyone can render a book with the right appendixes for their requirments.

R.
--
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP
http://www.109bean.org.uk/