Merge BLFS and LFS? [Was Re: What is LFS anyway?]

Tushar Teredesai linux_from_scratch at yahoo.com
Mon May 10 10:11:37 PDT 2004

Tushar Teredesai wrote:

> Another point that I fail to understand is "How does including
> something in LFS rather than BLFS provide more educational value?"
> Would installing hotplug or dhcp or ... in LFS provide more
> educational value than including them in BLFS? If yes, we should
> probably just merge the two projects into a single one. That would
> give the users maximum educational value, provide a coherent set of
> instructions that work together and at the same time reduce further
> discussions on where a particular package belongs.

Though I said the above with a tinge of humor, I would like to throw
this idea out in the open. How about merging the two projects into a
single one? The advantages that I see are:

    * The instructions will be synchronized. No more, "which version of
      LFS does BLFS support or should support" type questions.
    * BLFS would receive more QA. Support and development will be pooled.
    * No more lengthy discussions on which package belongs where. We can
      concentrate on more useful discussions :)
    * Users would benefit since everything fits under one umbrella.

LFS could be organized into sections. Note that each

   1. Build the bootstrap phase in /tools.
   2. Install and configure the "must have" packages (most of the
      current LFS packages).
   3. Install and configure packages that would make LFS self-sustaining
      and independent from the host (dhcp, wget, lynx, etc.). The user
      can reboot into LFS after this section.
   4. The rest of BLFS organized into various sections based on their
      functionality and approximate installation order.

The disadvantages:

    * Would increase the size of LFS Book.
    * The traffic on lfs-* would increase so developers who like to only
      concern themselves with a subset would be inconvenienced.
    * We are used to having LFS and BLFS independent and it does not fit
      our mindset :)

Opinions?

--
Tushar Teredesai