What is LFS anyway?

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon May 10 10:28:58 PDT 2004

On Mon, 10 May 2004 15:18:52 +0100
Richard A Downing FBCS <richard at 109bean.org.uk> wrote:

> I've had another idea.
>
> If we had a an offical format, individuals and groups could
> collaborate on 'appendix' style, xml-based, rendered to fit-in with
> LFS, 'how-to-make it work in situation-X'.
>
> Isn't this Hints, I hear you say?  But I was thinking of a more
> 'stamped with the LFS approval mark' and matched to the lfs-version.
> I see hints as 'I did this and it worked for me' - which is not quite
> the same thing.
>
> That way the book could be bare bones - which will suit one camp;  but
>
> everyone can render a book with the right appendixes for their
> requirments.

Richard,

This was one of the original goals of the newxml module, in that it
would enable us to be able to do this kind of thing.  It's still a way
off yet, but if there's enough demand for it then at least the XML is in
a reasonable state to try and achieve this.  I believe it's possible,
but haven't looked into it in any great detail.

Cheers,

Matt.