The Current Development Structure

Hui Zhou zhouhui at wam.umd.edu
Mon May 10 13:52:07 PDT 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 10:03:52PM +0200, Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>Hui Zhou said the following on 10-05-2004 20:49:
>>What is the current LFS development structure? The
>>Stable/Testing/Unstable model or just Release/Development model?
>
>Didn't keep up with recent events? I posted a summary on the website.

Obviously I didn't :-).

Well, actually, I know the three-tier model is in use, but from the
actually running, it still is a two stage model (before is a one stage
model). In your summary, the stable branch is essentially a release,
does it need a branch to hold it and does it need any development
other than user support? From what I read, the unstable branch is
essentially the CVS head now, and as usual, all the developers
focused on it, and the books goal of education and minimal approach
and stability applies (at least in some degree), which is quite
against the initial spirit of BELFS. And it seems all the developers
have been dragged to this branch no matter his thought is at odd with
BELFS originators or not.

I guess in my mind is actually a slightly different model than the
debian model. In my mind is a three branch model that each is an
actual branch with CVS(or subversion) repository, each receive active
development. The unstable branch is a branch more authentic in nature
as BELFS where development is ahead of discussion and discussion can
be neglected (Is this the original idea of BELFS?) To let this branch
work, there has to be only a few developers actually work on it,
otherwise conflicting opinions are bound to fight and hold the
progress back. As for the other two branches is more like the current
testing and CVS HEAD.

Just throwing out my thoughts here.

--
Hui Zhou