Bootable CD

Jeremy Huntwork jeremy at jenacon.net
Mon May 10 14:20:20 PDT 2004

Jeroen Coumans said the following on 10-05-2004 11:39:

> There are iso's available, and we also recommend Knoppix. See
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/faq.html#bootcd and
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html#what-dist
>
> Since LFS is still more a learning exercise then a distribution guide or
> DIY Linux, we don't start with a boot CD (although this might change,
> given the recent discussions on the direction LFS should take).

It is an excellent learning excercise, in my opinion, one of the best I've
encountered.  But it could be argued that it's something of a distribution
already.  For example, LFS provides bootscripts, patches specific to how you
will be using the packages, and the directory structure/location of certain
files, etc. - of course the user has the freedom to manipulate and choose
his/her own course.  But LFS made certain decisions, for very good reasons,
and if the user follows the instructions, he/she has a distribution, of
sorts, right down to the /etc/lfs-release file.

I'm just suggesting including in the book the option, or even suggestion to
use a bootable CD for the install, instead of requiring that the user
already have another Linux system in place, which is how the book currently
reads...
"You are going to build your LFS system by using a previously installed
Linux distribution (such as Debian, Mandrake, Red Hat, or SuSE). This
existing Linux system (the host) will be used as a starting point..."

For many users, I think, it could easily be seen that they really are
starting 'from scratch' with such a CD, especially if the instructions
provided point out what is included on the CD, and the reason a host system
is needed at all.

Just a thought.

- Jeremy Huntwork