Guiding Principles (Repost)

Larry Lawrence larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue May 11 06:15:47 PDT 2004

"Jeremy Huntwork" <jeremy at jenacon.net> wrote in message
news:20040511070146.SM01172 at optiplex...

> Jeroen, your post got me curious as to what the LFS book currently
> implies are its principles.  I picked out essentially four points from
> the "Who would want to read this book" section:
>
> 1. Education - learning how a Linux system works.
>
> 2. Compact System
>
> 3. Control - you choose what's included.
>
> 4. Security
>
> Of course, then it's mentioned that there are many other reasons, but
> these appear to be, as I understand, the main four.
> The analogy is also made to the hamburger, and that LFS gives you the
> recipe to make your own.  Using that analogy, it seems to me that what
> you're asking is what packages make a "hamburger" and which ones should
> be considered "toppings."
>
> Jeremy Huntwork
> http://www.jenacon.net

I've been scanning these post over the last couple of days and was beginning
to wonder if anyone had every read the introduction!  This book did not get
slapped together last year, it has been in development for many years -- it
knows what its principals are.  I find it interesting that some discussion
is about changing the principles, not fulfilling the principles.

This book is about Gerard's vision, not yours, not mine nor anyone else.
You say that Gerard is not available, but he is -- five plus years of his
dream in written down for all to read.  Need background, read the archives.

We have moved one package from BLFS to LFS in the last three years, zlib,
and it was done with complete agreement of all concerned.

You want a transition chapter? Write it and submit it to BLFS for inclusion
in the PostLFS chapter.

I always equate LFS to a College class, it teaches, invokes thought and in
the end there is a final exam.  Selecting the options needed in the Kernel
close enough to get a boot is the final exam.  For extra credit, connecting
to the Internet. Give the students opportunity to succeed just as you were.
If they are smart enough to use BLFS to finish the exam, more power to them.

Larry